Vegan Winter Squash Pot Pie
Contributed by Eat,live,burp as part of the Ox-Box Project; food bloggers creating delicious recipes featuring Oxbow vegetables.
The edible skin of delicata squash adds color and texture to this pot pie. I made 6 individual pot pies with the measurements given below, you could double the recipe and use a 13- x 9- inch baking dish to make this pie. You can even make the filling few days ahead and freeze it. Make sure to not to add potatoes if you are planning to freeze it, frozen potatoes will change the texture of the pie. Pair this delicious pot pie with mixed greens salad and this ah-mazing coconut vanilla rice pudding for a festive vegan fare.
- 2 C Low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ea Delicata squash, unpeeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb Fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 oz Swiss chard, stems sliced and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Fresh or frozen organic corn kernels
- 3/4 C Cooked chick peas
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 C Rice, soy or almond milk
- 1/2 sheet Frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
1. Place broth, 2 cups of water, squash, potatoes, Swiss chard stems, thyme and salt in a stockpot and bring it to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add Swiss chard leaves and corn, cook for 3 minutes.
3. Drain vegetables and reserve broth. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and stir in the chickpeas.
4. Measure broth and if required add water to make 3.5 cups liquid.
5. Heat oil in the stockpot and when its hot, add onions. Cook till they begin to brown.
6. Sprinkle with flour and garlic and cook for a minute.
7. Add 3.5 cups liquid from step 4 and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
8. Stir in the milk.
9. Pour sauce into the vegetable mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Once the vegetable sauce mixture is completely cooled, you can refrigerate or freeze it.
10. To make the pie, preheat oven to 375 F.
11. Pour filling into ramekins or a large enough baking dish.
12. Gently roll out puff pastry sheet to size of ramekins or baking dish on a lightly floured surface.
13. Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes.
14. Place chilled puff pastry sheet on top of ramekins or baking dish and press around edges to seal.
15. Use knife to score 4 rows of diagonal incisions into the pasty sheet.
16. Bake for 30 minutes and broil for a minute or until top crust is golden brown.
- Brussel Sprouts
- Butterhead Lettuce
- Butternut Squash
- Collard Greens
- Delicata Squash
- Dragon's Tongue Beans
- Fava Beans
- Green Beans
- Kabocha Squash
- OxBox Survival Tools & Recipes
- Pea Vines
- Romaine Lettuce
- Sauces & Dressings
- Sauces & Dressings
- Shiitake Mushroom
- Spaghetti Squash
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Summer Squash
- Winter Squash