Farm Processing Crew
Seasonal, full-time, May through December
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center researches, practices, and shares ideas about how humans can benefit from the land in ways compatible with nature.
What We Offer
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
As a member of our energetic Processing Crew, your primary responsibilities will be post-harvest handling and packing of all farm produce. We pack and deliver over 700 boxes of produce each week to our CSA pick up locations, wholesale, and restaurant accounts. Under the supervision of the Farm Manager and the Assistant Farm Manager for Sales & Processing, the Processing Crew is responsible for product quality control and order fulfillment accuracy. As of June, the processing station and the weekly pack outs will consume most all of your time. That said, versatility is essential as you will participate in other aspects of farm production and sales as needed, such as harvesting, cultivation, propagation house, irrigation and delivering. Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask while performing time sensitive projects efficiently is a must to thrive in this position. If you have history of chronic back pain or other serious physical limitations, this position is not a good fit for you.
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce quickly, efficiently and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Working as a team to maintain smooth, timely flow within the processing station
- Tracking project time and communicating with Assistant Farm Manager for Sales & Processing if forecast can’t be met
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Working and tracking within GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Consistently rotating stock and maintaining product inventory
- Communicating with the Sales and Logistics Assistant when issues arise that impact order fulfillment or CSA pack out.
- Packing CSA boxes four days a week
- Processing station safety upkeep and hygiene cleanliness
- Harvesting, transplanting, and cultivation of field crops as needed to support production needs
- Occasional order deliveries
- At least one year previous farming/produce/warehouse experience preferred
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills
- Punctual time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills
- Strong back; able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 75 lbs.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting
- Flexibility within a multicultural, dynamic organization
- Fast learner and adaptable
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on performance and technique
- Ability to give direction and act in lead role when necessary with colleagues
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling
- Capability to perform repetitive physical work with endurance
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
40-60+ hours per week (hours fluctuate with the season)
$10.00-$12.00 DOE, some paid holidays, with access to food from the field
Assistant Farm Manager for Sales & Processing
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write “Farm processing crew” in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Deadline to apply
This position will remain open until filled